Thursday, January 23, 2014

Veggie-Full Macaroni and Cheese

When I was young, I remember my brother being a picky eater. Everyone goes through that stage, it's natural, but now, when my baby is still little, I am trying to avoid that. I, even in my adult years, find myself not liking certain fruits and vegetables. So, in order to sneak a little more fruits and vegetables, I have started putting vegetables into my dishes that wouldn't normally have them.

Now, please don't get me wrong, I do not think that these dishes automatically become less fattening just because I fill them with vegetables. And understand that I am not a nutritionist. I am simply trying to add a little more nutrition into meals that my family enjoys. 

This is Veggie-Full Macaroni and Cheese



8 oz pasta (I used Scoobi doo, but you can use macaroni elbows or penne)
5 oz sharp or old cheddar cheese
4.5 oz peas
4.5 oz carrots, peeled and chopped
1 TBSP unsalted butter for the roux
1 TBSP unsalted butter for the casserole dish
2 oz shallots, minced
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 TBSP flour
1.5 cups of 2% milk
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp mustard powder or Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1 TBSP oil
1 TBSP grated parm

Serves 6

Boil your water. 

Preheat the oven to 350 F.

Prepare the macaroni as directed on the package. Half way through the cooking, add in the peas and carrots. Finish cooking, drain and set aside. 

In a pot, melt butter for the roux. While the butter is melting, butter your casserole dish. When butter is fully melted and just ever so slightly bubbling, add in your minced shallots. Cook for 3 minutes then add garlic. Cook for one minute and add in flour, mixing into a lumpy paste. 

Trick: In order to use as little amount as possible, I use one pot to boil the macaroni mixture, then transfer that to the casserole dish. Use a whisk for all stirring. That way, when it comes time to whisk the roux, you only have to dirty one utensil, one pot, and one casserole dish. Alos, one knife and one cutting board, but things that that are very easy to wash. 

Back to the recipe. 

After the flour is mixed fully, add in the milk, whisking constantly. Once it is smooth and well blended, let it come to a small bubble.

Once bubbling, pour the cheese over the macaroni mixture in the casserole dish. Sprinkled over the breadcrumbs, the Parmesan cheese and the tablespoon of oil.  

Bake in the oven for 30 minutes on 350F.

Enjoy!

Hopefully, your picky eaters will enjoy this dish as much as my family does.



Warm wishes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment