Monday, January 13, 2014

Lookin' good and feelin' fine!

Lady Gaga sure had it right when she sang about FASHION! As moms, we generally put our children first. We make sure that each and every one of their shirts, pants and shoes are on correctly and everything is right in place so they can look their best. Meanwhile, we stumble in behind them with greasy topknots, stained denim and wrinkled shirts that we wore during our pregnancy.

I think that to take time for ourselves is one of the most important things we can do as mothers. We need to take those extra 15 minutes to shower and brush our teeth, and to find a decent outfit to throw on. I am of the firm belief that if you buy one nice piece of clothing for yourself every month, by the end of the year you could have a great wardrobe.
The key to a successful wardrobe is to find pieces that flatter you NOW, even if you are losing weight, (they can always be handed down, re-purposed, taken in, or sold later when you are OFFICIALLY out of them. If you're a severe yoyo-er, or you have a condition that makes you gain and lose weight rapidly, keep these items around and by the end of two years, you will have a completely versatile wardrobe no matter your size) and make them versatile enough that you can go into your closet at 5 am and pick out a shirt and a pair of pants in the dark and still look like a put together human being.
Yes, we all have those days when we are too tired to give a wink, but most days, shower, brush your teeth, pick out a simple outfit that you feel good in, pair it with a good pair of shoes, swipe on some lip balm, and you have a decent look. Yes, it screams, I am a mother. But it also says, I have a fashion sense, I know what is happening in the world around me, and no, just because I am a mom, that does not mean I have to wear mom jeans.

I am mom, her me roar.

Or as the lovely Tina Fey would probably put it, Yeah, bitch, I can dress my kids and myself. Boom.

I hope this first little ditty helps you get a sense of what I am trying to accomplish here. Have a good night.

Also, for a little shopping/fashion/fierce motivation, here is the song I was referring to before.
Now go strut, momma.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX9ZlmxtwC8

Warm wishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment