Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Jolly Ol' England



Cheerio!

Yes, that was quite cheesy, hopefully you will get over it within your lifetime. If not, leave a comment down below and you will get extra love from me. Though, that too, would probably be cheesy. Sorry. 

Anyway, so today was a trip to the great misty country. No, not Scotland, the other one. Yes! Great Britain. The good ol' GB. I don't think anyone calls it that... awkward.... moving on. 


For today's #EatAroundTheWorld meal, I chose something very simply, yet delicious, and of course, added a bit more simplicity and a twist. Fish and chips! But not just fish and chips, Bubbly Fish with Two Tone Chips and Fresh Veg. Yes, that is a long name for the recipe, but it's more a meal than anything else, so hopefully it works for the situation. I think if Rachael Ray can pull it off in her cookbook then so can I. 

I used a couple of cheats for this recipe, actually. The first, Fish Crisp. Yes, good old Fish Crisp. I used the beer batter kind. Only, I didn't have any beer, being on a budget and all, so I used seltzer water instead; which is exactly why it is called Bubbly Fish, because I had to use some sort of fizz, and "Seltzer Battered Fish" didn't sound very appetizing or fun. 
Yes, this is me cooking with HelperBaby on my shoulders 

I also am not some great master chef who spends hours in the kitchen everyday perfecting her recipes, which means I used frozen veggies(though not pureed like in the traditional meal) and I used store bought mayo. I know, lazy, lazy Caitlynne. 

Let's get on with the recipe so that I can get on with sleeping. Because boy, am I exhausted. 

First thing's first: always look at your meal and prioritize. What takes the longest? Is there something that takes a long time to heat up, or preheat? Is there something that can cook and I don't have to watch it?

In this meal, that was our Two Toned Chips. I call these Two Toned Chips because they are sweet potato and russet potato fries. I cook them in my Actifry. This is seriously one of the best inventions ever. I am a huge food person, as you might have already guessed, and part of that is loving things that are crunchy and deep fried. Now, the Actifry does not deep fry things, more like lightly fries things. Which, in my head, is great, but in my heart, makes me cry. While I will always love a deep fried mozzarella stick, the Actifry does an amazing job. It can make sauces and even whole dishes in it, and when it comes to french fries, it's the best. The french fries in the Actifry take 23 minutes. You use about 1 TBSP of oil altogether, and they come out crispy but soft on the inside. So good!

Two Toned Chips:
2 medium russet potatoes, washed and cut into sticks or wedges
1 large sweet potato, washed, cut into stick or wedges
Canola oil
Salt
Pepper
Curry Powder

One of the key things about this recipe, isn't just that it doesn't have any splattering oil, but it is so much healthier because of the small amount of oil that is being used, and because we leave the skin on our potatoes, amping up the nutritional level. 

Also, I soak my potatoes after they have been cut up. I put them in a large bowl of water and let them soak for about an hour before I start actually cooking. this helps remove as much starch as possible and allows the potatoes to brown on the outside, even though we are frying them with a method that doesn't use a lot of oil.

After the potatoes come out of the Actifry, they are screaming hot, so make sure to be careful, but season them liberally with the salt, pepper and curry powder. I like my fries to have a kick to them. If you aren't a fan of curry, them you can skip it, but it is so unique, and really gives this traditional dish a twist. 

Bubbly Fish:


This is so simple, it hurts. And yes, I completely cheated, but I like to think that a few cheats here and there won't ruin my reputation. 
A happy smile after dinner; she cleaned her plate!

2 fillets of haddock, cut in half horizontally
Beer Batter Fish Crisp
1 can of club soda
salt
pepper
paprika
4 TBSP canola oil (or another oil with a high smoke point)

All you have to do is add the can of club soda to the beer batter and whisk them together. The batter is so light and fluffy, I couldn't get enough! Then I add in 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper, along with 1.4 tsp paprika. If you like your fish to have a bit of zip, you can add 1/8-1/4 tsp of cayenne here, that would taste amazing. 

In order to make sure your oil fries your fish correctly without your fish being oily, soggy and limp, I only do two at a time, and I don't add all the oil in; it's a TBSP of oil for each fillet half. I add the oil into the preheated pan (I put my pan on Medium) and gently lower the fish fillet in away from you so you don't burn yourself. Then I cook them on each side for about two to three minutes. I like mine dark golden brown and very crunchy, but if you like yours light, then go for less time. I put a paper towel on a plate and let the fillets sit for as long as I cooked them for. 

While those are sitting, I can make one of the easiest sauces on the planet: tartar sauce. 

Scratch Tartar Sauce:

1/2 cup light mayo
2 TBSP relish or diced pickles
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp lemon juice

Yes. that is all that is in tartar sauce. Mix all these ingredients together and you will have enough for a family of four or five to have a generous scoop. I only use 1 TBSP on my fish. 

The last step is the veg

A cheeky rip off of classic mushy peas... peas and corn with salt and pepper. 

Yes, this is the simplest thing by far. Simply steam your peas and corn in a steamer, then put them into a serving dish and spray with all natural cooking spay. Mine if canola oil, but whatever you can get is good. Then season with salt and pepper. 


That is it for this meal. The dog is begging to go out, and the bed is calling me. I hope you guys have a lovely week, and hopefully i will see you tomorrow!

If you have any comments, requests or suggestions, make sure to check me out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, pr leave a comment here. And if you try a recipe, use the hashtag #EatAroundTheWorld to let me know what you though of it and how it turned out! I would love to see pictures! 

See you soon! Warm wishes


No comments:

Post a Comment