Monday, April 21, 2014

Turkey and Bean Chili

Hey everyone! 

It feels like ages since I have come and talked to you guys! I hope you have been anxiously awaiting my next post ;)

I wanted to share a recipe with you with is my go-to chili recipe. The thing I love about this chili is that this has so many staple items (for our family) in it that I can literally defrost my meat (either in the morning before I start my day, or in the microwave for about 4 minutes) and throw this chili together. It is also great because you can use ANY type of ground meat (or soy meat, tofu, vegetarian ground "meat") and I mean any type! I have done this with chicken, beef, pork, turkey, and lamb! The lamb one was the most interesting, but it was rwally delicious still! This is a super fast, no mess chili that is whipped together in half an hour and gives you time to spend eating and being with your family! 

No more babbling at you and let's get going!

Turkey and bean Chili

1 red onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
tablespoon of olive oil
1 lb ground turkey
200mL of chili sauce (it's basically ketchup with spices and onions and peppers in it, you don't have to add this, I just needed to use mine up)
1 (369mL) can tomato sauce
1 (540 mL) can navy beans, rinsed and drained
1 (796mL) can diced tomatoes
1 (540 mL) can red kidney beans
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp marjoram
1 tbsp parsley
1 tbsp masa (this is just to thicken the chili, you can use a slurry of cornstarch if you want, but masa is so versatile and handy to have in the house)

Heat pan to medium heat. Add oil and let heat for 30 seconds. Add in your chopped onion, peppers and garlic. Saute for five minutes. 

Add in your ground meat. Cook all the way through. Meanwhile rinse the beans and mix them together in the strainer. Let them drain and then once your meat is cooked all the way through, add them into your pot. 

Add all your spices and salt and pepper if you would like to. I add the s&p at the end. But to each his own. Next, add in your chili sauce, tomato sauce and diced tomatoes (if you don't want to have to thicken your chili at the end, you can drain the diced tomatoes and just add in the pieces). Mix everything together and let it simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. 


Then add in your masa and let it simmer for another 10 minutes. And your chili is ready to eat! You can dress it up or down, add in avocado, sour cream, onion, or jalapeno, or put it over chips with velveeta cheese if you want, it's all up to you! That is the beauty of this chili You can easily double or triple this recipe, or cut it in half, if you have a small family, and freeze the other half for later in the month. It is so simple yet versatile.


Have fun with it! Make it sweet by adding a couple tablespoons of agave or honey, or make it spicy by adding in a chipotle pepper! Make it savory by adding ancho chili powder and cocoa powder for that authentic taste. You can eat it with Fritos, or Doritos, or Tostitos, or even home made tortilla chips! You can put it over rice, a baked potato, rice, or quinoa. Add yogurt, sour cream, a splash of heavy cream, or shredded cheese. or so non-dairy and add guacamole and cilantro and fresh tomato slices. Do your thing and everyone around you is sure to love it! (The pan in the background of that picture is not dirty, it is just a weird light thing, I don't know why it looks like that, I just hadn't put it away yet.)




I hope you enjoyed this recipe and I hope to see you again soon! 

Warm wishes! 


No comments:

Post a Comment