Thursday, September 4, 2014

Chicken, White Bean, and Squash Chili





This recipe is everything I love about fall. Warm, comforting, and full of spices that nourish the body and warm the soul. Cheesy, right? I know. I think that my grandmother got this recipe from a WeightWatchers cookbook, but I honestly don't know. The only reason I think it's a WeightWatchers recipe is because she had the Points Value on the bottom of the note card. Either way, this recipe is full of amazing whole foods that are easy to put together and to find in the store. 

Let's get on with the delicious recipe!

Chicken, White bean, and Butternut Squash Chili

Serves 4

Ingredients:


2 pablano peppers
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tsp ancho chili powder*
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 (15 oz) can white beans
1 (14 oz) box chicken broth**
1/2 cup water
1/2 butternut squash, cubed in 1/2 inch cubes
1/4 cup bulgar
1/4 tsp salt***
2 cups diced, cooked chicken breast****
4 tbsp fat free sour cream
2 tbsp fresh cilantro
1 tbsp jalapeno*****

Process:

1. Sautee pablanos and onion in nonstick spray until softened on medium heat.

2. Stir in garlic, and all spices. 

3. Once combined, add in chicken, beans (make sure you rinse them thoroughly!), broth, water, squash, and bulgar. 

4. Stir everything together until well combined and then cover with a lid and cook for 15-20 minutes. If you want this "chili" more like a stew, then add more water. if you like it thicker, like a chili, take the cover off and let some of the liquid evaporate as it's simmering. 

5. Once the chili has thickened, serve in 1 1/2 cup servings. Top with 1 tbsp of sour cream, cilantro, and jalapeno. Don't be afraid to go heavy on your jalapeno and cilantro, or even add your own toppings like salt-free salsa, cherry tomatoes, peppers, chopped onions, or even reduced fat shredded cheese. 

* I enjoy ancho chili powder because of the smokiness, but regular chili powder will do just fine. i buy my ancho chili powder in BulkBarn, and it barely costs a thing because you only need a little bit. Don't over-buy your bulk spices! 

** I buy my chicken broth from Costco, so I have only one or two options for chicken broth. one of which is organic. If you are just buying your chicken broth right off the shelf, try and get no salt added or reduced sodium and try and steer clear of bullion. 

*** You DO NOT have to add this! The beans have salt on them already, not matter how well you rinse them. Make sure you make healthy choices over delicious choices. You can add so much on top of the chili to make it more flavorful, and leave the salt adding to your guests and family members. 

****I pre-roasted my chicken breasts. We buy bone in, skin on chicken breasts because they are less expensive. I thin take the bone and skin off and roast the chicken in the oven at 400 degrees F for about 15-20 mins, with cooking spray, salt, and pepper on them. While you're roasting your chicken, you can roast other veggies for later in the week. 

*****This can be pickled jalapeno, fresh, hot peppers, whatever you like! Make it spicy! or skip this step, up to you. 


BONUS!!!!

I made this recipe for lunch, and by dinner that day, I was exhausted. SO, instead of making a totally new meal, I simply took out my trusty veggie tortilla wraps and scooped about 1/4 cup of the chili into the wrap and topped it with lettuce, tomato, shredded carrot, home made chipotle salsa, 2 tsp fat free sour cream, and cilantro. I ate it with broccoli and green beans and about 2-8 oz glasses of water. 

I hope you enjoyed this recipe! make sure to check out my social media links and I hope you have agreat day!


No comments:

Post a Comment